When you awoke today, were you thinking to yourself, “I wonder what the best-ever recipe for pancakes is?” Well, good news, we’ve teamed up with Towson, MD’s brass-rock/ska septet, Stacked Like Pancakes, to give you their take on some fluffy, syrupy breakfast goodness. The unsigned act — which consts of Kellen McKay, Zach Foote, Alec Leventis, Michael Busch, Andy Dawson, Kevin Goren and Will Lopez — can actually be found making pancakes for their fans as part of their VIP meet & greets before shows, so it was only natural that we wanted to steal the secret recipe for ourselves.
With new single “Hollow” out now (check out the video below) and the guys’ third studio recording, Strange Creatures, currently under a Kickstarter campaign, 2018 is looking pretty sweet and buttery for this band. OK, so, let’s get cooking… and be sure to help Stacked Like Pancakes achieve their 2-month goal of raising $100,000 for the recording, production, and distribution of the new release.
Stacked “Stacked Like Pancakes” Pancakes: a special recipe from the band to the fans.
– Instant pancake batter (who has the time or the money to add eggs and milk when the bigwigs at General Mills will add it for you?)
– Water (moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty)
– Vanilla Extract
– A brass instrument (trumpet, trombone, tuba, euphonium, ophicleide, door knobs are acceptable)
View the band’s lyric video for the single “Hollow” right here.
01. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. This includes the instant pancake mix, cinnamon, and your dad’s sense of humor. Don’t measure it. Just go with what you feel. Seriously, that’s what we do when we make pancakes for our fans.
02. Oh, you need actual measurements? OK, let’s say….2 cups of pancake mix, 2 tablespoons of cinnamon and a heaping bucket of the dry humor. Moving on.
03. Add water to your bowl. Don’t measure it, just do it with a punk rock attitude. If the mix didn’t poof up in your face like a mini nuke then separate the ingredients and try again.
04. Oh right, measurements. Let’s say 2 cups of water. Don’t add too much because the trick to thick and plumpy pancakes is to keep the batter thick. Somewhere between the viscosity of Snack Pack pudding and Flubber. Go ahead and add about 2 dashes of vanilla extract as well. I don’t know what a dash is but apparently it’s a real unit of measurement.
3.5 I forgot to tell you to mix it together. But if you didn’t know that then you should get your mommy to help you.
05. Pre-warm a skillet or a pan, spray some Pam, grab a ladle and lay that therapeutic thickness out! Once the pancakes are in place turn up the heat and wait for the bubbles.
06. While you wait, take your brass instrument and play it until your neighbors start banging on your wall. That’s when you know it’s time to flip the pancakes. Or just wait until they are golden brown.
07. Flip those cakes with attitude! If you’re not wearing that batter like war-paint then go to your room until you’ve had an attitude adjustment.
08. Let the flipped flapjacks cook for 44-58 seconds then put them on a plate, piled one on top of the other, arranged in a heap… I’m blanking on a better way to describe that. C’est fini! That’s how the members of Stacked Like Pancakes make pancakes for our fans. Stay weird and we’ll see you at the next show!
Hear the band’s single “45” right here.