Mexican garage punkers Le Butcherettes are a snarling, gnashing four-piece that has been tearing the music scene apart since 2007. Formed in Guadalajara by vocalist/guitarist Teri Gender Bender, the band is fresh off the March 1st release of their fourth full-length, bi/MENTAL (grab a copy via iTunes), via Rise Records.
Now, as they’re about to embark on a brief European tour, we figured it was high time to talk turkey. Well, not actual fowl, but rather music. You, know, the stuff that matters. As a trail-blazing female musical icon, we are honoured to have Teri join us for this Women of Rock session with a list of five of her current, favourite female acts.
Le Butcherettes know when you just have to “give/UP” on someone.
– This cathartic project consists of a dynamic 4-piece: Seleste (guitar, effect pedals), Joana (drums, vox), Liz (bass, effect pedals), and Janelle (lead vox, guitar). Right out of East Los Angeles with Latin and American-Ohioan roots intertwined, the band has recently released an outstanding audio/visual journey of an EP (Rule This City) produced by multi-faceted artist Alejandra Robles Luna.
Check out the moody, slow burning “Rule This City”.
02. CocoVera (Monterrey, MEX/Toledo, OH)
Genres: Experimental Rock, Avant-Garde
– A striking duo (Alejandra and Janelle) have done it again and again, successfully creating a whole statement of their own within the complex world engulfed in corrupted preachers with hypocritical tendencies. CocoVera does an elegant job at calling them out with grace.
CocoVera are calling out the “Preachers”.
– They were possessed by the raging spirits of our fallen mothers once they stepped on the stage. Night after night on long arduous tours, they continued to mark what has become a whole new “terrortory” of their own while honouring the greats that have come before us with original and authentic songwriting.
Here’s the rude (in the best way) “¡Que Grosero!”.
– The strong sense of self in this eye catching band is immediate, within a second of a meter the chilling cores grasp at the witness’ instinct to pay attention to the message of cries for justice.
Ignoring this video is the new “Sin Nombre”.
– Flor de Toloache came onto the mind’s inner matter as the east coast’s first all-female mariachi band, and the awe striking project has kept on conquering new dimensions with their sound and essence: wearing their emotions on their mortal skin while swaying the atmosphere with their entrancing musicianship.
“Long Gone Girl” teaches us that sometimes you just have to girl up.
Le Butcherettes Tour Dates:
03/26 – Kobenhavn, Denmark @ Hotel Cecil
03/27 – Berlin, Germany @ Frannz-Club
03/28 – Hamburg, Germany @ Hafenklang
03/29 – Amsterdam, Netherlands @ Paradiso
04/01 – Manchester, UK @ Soup Kitchen
04/02 – London, UK @ MOTH Club
04/03 – Paris, France @ Point Ephemere
04/04 – Gent, Belgium @ Charlatan
04/05 – Koln, Germany @ artheater
The band’s new album, bi/MENTAL, dropped on March 1st, 2019, via Rise Records.