Evildog is a sultry, five-piece rock band from Malagueña, Spain that formed in 2018. Their debut four-track EP, From the Basement (check it on Apple Music and Spotify), dropped earlier this year on the Spanish label Rock CD Records. The group’s unique mix of rock and an almost cabaret-like, lounge-y vibe really helps their tunes stand out while vocalist Victoria Villa uses her captivating presence to steer the tunes home.
In this very special, international Top 10 feature, Evildog’s drummer Alberto Martos helps you elevate your next trip to his native country with his favourite rock Spanish venues. These are the places he has most enjoyed as a musician and a patron; it’s a perfect list of cozy pubs and concert halls, all with great service. Don’t waste your time with those National Geographic travel guides, Evildog has you got you covered!
10. El Perro de la Parte de Atrás del Coche (Madrid) – Facebook
– Located in the centre of Madrid, at the gates of Malasaña, we find one of the mythical places of the independent scene of the capital of Spain. Programming specializes in alternative rock in its widest spectrum. The pub is located in an old cellar that still has a spectacular vaulted cave under its walls. It gives the place a medieval and darkly seductive appearance.
Imagine it was “Always Monday,” it’s a scary thought.
09. Razzmatazz (Barcelona) – Facebook
– Sala Razzmatazz is a benchmark at the state level. Its five rooms (Razz Club, The Loft, Rex Room, Pop Bar and Lolita) are a meeting place for thousands of people every week. Some of the best international and local pop, rock and electronic music artists of recent times have passed through their stages. Artists such as David Byrne,Coldplay, Orbital, Pulp, The Strokes, Kanye West, Blur, Belle and Sebastian, Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Kraftwrek, Paul Kalkbrenner, Justice or Skrillex, among others. And many of them did it when they were barely known, performing here for the first time in our country, such as Arctic Monkeys, Queens of Stone Age, Franz Ferndinand, Cut Copy and The Gossip. If you go through Barcelona, don’t hesitate. Razzmatazz is your place.
08. Fun Club (Seville) – Facebook
– One of the oldest live music venues in operation in Seville. Fun Club is popular in the local night scene, with indie rock concerts regularly scheduled. Once the concerts are over, it remains open as a nightclub until after seven in the morning, making it a great option for euphoric night owls. Great atmosphere and good music, drinks at reasonable prices and excellent service.
07. ZZ PUB (Málaga) – Facebook
– Rockbar in the heart of Málaga. Since 1991 it offers live music every night. Rock, soul, funk, jazz, blues. Twenty-eight years have consolidated it as a reference point for live music lovers. It’s an inescapable appointment on a night in Malaga.
Enjoy Evildog performing “Please” live for Fusión Radio.
06. Velvet Club (Málaga) – Facebook
– Another safe bet to enjoy live concerts in Málaga. One night at Velvet Club is synonymous with rock. Cozy place, excellent treatment, and very cold beer!! The acoustics of the premises are excellent and the proximity between the public and the band infects the atmosphere with a incomparable and electric privacy. A total catharsis!
05. Black Velvet (Torremolinos) (Málaga) – Facebook
– Concert hall in Torremolinos. With just one year since its opening, Black Velvet is heir to the most avant-garde, underground and cosmopolitan spirit of southern Spain. One of those places that catches you for its originality and good taste. They also deserve praise for their support of local bands. Black Velvet has become the laboratory for the sound of the Costa del Sol.
04. Ruido Rosa (Granada) – Facebook
– Possibly the most classic pub in the Granada rock atmosphere. It was founded and maintained by the components of the 091 group for three decades, and, in the bar, it is easy to meet many native and foreign artists. Psychedelia, neo psychedelia, post punk, sixties, krautrock, shoegaze, space rock, power pop, soul, punk, garage. All this and more in its exquisite sound menu. Bon Appetite!!
Sometimes there is just “Nothing to Break.”
03. La Mecánica (Jaén) – Facebook
– Recently opened, the Mechanical Hall in Jaén is one of the most exciting creative spaces in Andalucía, which is a city known for being a world producer of olive oil. In addition to this treasure, it is also the land of great musicians and rock groups. Jaén is one of those hidden gems that you cannot fail to discover if you travel to Spain.
02. La Guarida Del Ángel (Cádiz) – Facebook
– La Guarida del Ángel is a unique place in Jerez for music lovers without labels. It’s an electric space, where you can enjoy concerts of all kinds; flamenco singing and dancing nights, monologues… It’s a place to celebrate life with the authenticity and naturalness that characterizes the Andalusian idiosyncrasy.
01. La Cachorra Yeyé (Albacete) – Facebook
– In Albacete we find La Cachorra Yeyé, a space destined to share experiences and values that are linked to music. It’s a countercultural meeting place with a philosophy that advocates for accommodating artistic expressions away from the mainstream. Unclassifiable and amazing concerts, but not suitable for well-off minds.
From the Basement dropped worldwide on February 06, 2019.