One thing that I love about summer is all the fantastic music that drops to accompany the season’s good times. Summer 2019 has been no different, and there has already been some great content released thus far. This article consists of my top ten favourite tracks from late May and June, in no particular order. Let’s get this started with the artist pictured above, and one of Chicago’s finest…
01. “Chariot” – Calboy ft. Young Thug, Lil Durk & Meek Mill
– Hailing from the Windy City, Calboy is one of hip-hop’s latest rising stars. Calboy blew up at the young age of 19 with his massive hit “Envy Me,” and he just dropped his latest project, Wildboy, which is one of my favourite albums of the year. In my opinion, “Chariot” is the standout cut from this project, realized with help from hip-hop juggernauts Young Thug, Lil Durk and Meek Mill. The track finds the four artists effortlessly using their melodic flows on a guitar-driven beat, and it’s a certified banger.
02. “Da Real HoodBabies (Remix)” – Lil Gotit ft. Lil Baby
– Yet another young star in hip-hop, Lil Gotit is Atlanta’s latest talent. Gotit is part of Young Thug’s collective, YSL, and he, along with his partner in crime, Lil Keed, have been on the come-up. “Da Real Hoodbabies (Remix)” is a perfect example of Gotit’s unique flow over a banger of a beat. Lil Baby jumping on the remix just added the perfect touch to make this song a hit.
03. “Paranoid” – Russ
– Russ is definitely a polarizing figure in hip-hop. But no one can deny his talent; he raps, he sings, he produces and he mixes his own music. On the other hand, he often doesn’t get the notoriety he deserves because he can have a poor attitude at times. Despite all the controversy around Russ, this song is just great. In “Paranoid”, he sings/raps over a Boi-1da beat about the paranoia he has been feeling as a result of his success.
04. “Money in the Grave” – Drake ft. Rick Ross
– Drake dropped this track as part of the two song bundle titled The Best in the World Pack on the heels of the Toronto Raptors winning the NBA Championship. There is not much I can say about this song, it’s just Drake being Drake. It is important to note that Rick Ross absolutely killed his verse as well reminding us how much we need new music from Rozay. WHEN I DIE, PUT MY MONEY IN THE GRAVE!
05. “Evil Eye” – Killy
– Hailing from Toronto, I feel Killy doesn’t get the appreciation he deserves. He just dropped his new project, Light Path 8, and this is my favourite song of the record. In “Evil Eye”, Killy talks about all the struggles he’s been going through lately, and how he prays for the ‘evil eyes’ in his life to go blind.
06. “Down Bad” – Dreamville ft. JID, J. Cole, Bas, EARTHGANG & Yung Nudy
– Dreamville is J. Cole’s collective, much like Lil Wayne’s Young Money, but much more lyrical. They just released their collective album, Revenge of the Dreamers III, and this is the first single off the project. With this lineup of artists on a song, you cannot go wrong. JID takes the lead on this cut, but every artist on this song absolutely destroys their verse.
07. “Bad Idea” – YBN Cordae ft. Chance the Rapper
– I cannot say enough about YBN Cordae. He is only 21, but has the skillset to be a legend. Like many great lyricists before him, he has the ability to convey a message without sounding preachy, and, all the while, being cool at the same time. He can envelop a story within a song that you actually want to listen to, which is rare. “Bad Idea” finds Cordae and Chance rapping about how they’ve been lucky enough to move out of the hood and how they don’t really want to go back.
08. “Shotta Flow” (Remix) – NLE Choppa ft. Blueface
– At the tender age of just 16, NLE skyrocketed to fame with this infectious song. The track is just pure, raw energy that makes you wanna get up and dance. The original track recently went platinum, so it was already doing well, and NLE just dropped the remix on Cole Bennet’s “Lyrical Lemonade” Youtube channel. On this cut, NLE spits a new verse before Blueface comes in and raps like no one has ever heard him rap before. He somehow made it a bigger hit than it already was!
09. “Chase the Money” – E-40 ft. Quavo, Roddy Ricch, A$AP Ferg & ScHoolboy Q
– First off, we gotta commend 40 for staying relevant all these years and being a hip-hop GOAT. This is just a fun song with an army of top-tier artists doing what they do. Quavo and Roddy share responsibilities on the infectious hook and 40, Ferg and ScHoolboy each have a verse.
10. “Ballin’” – Mustard ft. Roddy Ricch
– DJ Mustard just dropped his newest album, Perfect Ten, with loads of A-List features. Mustard is one of the best producers in the game, so we know the beats will be strong. This is my top track from the album, simply because of Roddy Ricch, who is one of my favourite artists at the moment. He just cracked the XXL Freshmen List and, as he hails from Compton, he has become the new voice of the streets.