Fall is truly in full effect, ladies and gentlemen. Ugg boots are slipping on the feet of every white woman in town, flannels are falling on to the shoulders of every man who desperately is trying to find their inner lumberjack, and the harvest brings a trove of root vegetables and fruits to help us through the winter. Ciders and pies pile market stalls that will be happily purchased to accompany the Sunday roast. But what sides will be placed at the table? What hearty vegetables will fill us as the air cools, the leaves change, and Ichabod Crane patrols the streets?
Luckily the sweet potato enjoys rolling out of bed around this time of year to flex its muscles in the dinner circuit. High in fiber, this delightful root vegetable provides a great healthy starch as a side for any meal. The sweet and earthy flavor helps make it easy to pair with just about anything.
This “Sweet Leaf Roasted Sweet Potatoes” dish is SO sweet, dude!
Today, we are roasting this sweet potato with cranberries and apples to give a sweet and tart element and rounding it off with an earthy taste by tossing it all in brown butter. Brown butter is achieved by warming butter to the point where the milk solids separate from the liquid and begin to brown as the liquid slightly evaporates. It is a very easy procedure but also very easy to fuck up, especially with cannabis in the butter.
It is important to keep a close eye on the butter to ensure it does not burn. The result is an earthy and nutty tasting sauce that goes well with your dish. So, enjoy it my friends! Impress your loved ones and keep warm with this elevated side piece.
Dish dish doesn’t have to be just aside, it can be a main! Be sure to crank our freshly updated Baker’s Dozen playlist!
-3 lb Sweet Potato, diced into 1” cubes
-1 lb Macintosh apples, diced into 1” cubes
-2 tbsp olive oil
-Salt and pepper
-1 cup dried cranberries
-¼ cup Cannabutter, slightly browned
-2 tbsp thyme, chopped
– Maui Wowie. This lanky sativa has created a worldwide fame for itself. Grown in warm tropical climates, the classic sativa carries a warm fruity flavor that matches the brown butter well in this dish. Get more information via Leafly.com here.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Toss sweet potato and apple cubes with olive oil and seasoning. And lay on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Step 3: Roast for 25 minutes occasionally flipping the potatoes and apples to ensure that all sides brown.
Step 4: After 25 minutes add the dried cranberries and continue baking for another 10 minutes.
Step 5: Meanwhile, place your Cannabutter in a sauce pan and turn to a medium heat. The idea is to melt the butter and continue cooking to a point where the butter slightly browns. Move the butter around with a spoon so the milk solids do not burn too quickly on you. This should take no more than 2-3 minutes on a medium-high heat.
Step 6: Remove the sweet potato mix from the oven, toss with brown butter and serve. Garnish with chopped thyme.
KISS performing “100000 years” live at Winterland!
Suggested Baker’s Dozen “Sweet Leaf Roasted Sweet Potatoes” Playlist:
01. Montrose – “Space Station #5”
02. KISS – “100,000 Years”
03. Van Halen – “Ain’t Talking bout Love”
04. Exodus – “Thorn in my Side”
05. Haunted – “Silvercomb”
06. Shrooms Circle – “The Druggist”
07. Witch Ripper – “Space Debris”
08. Mastodon – “I am Ahab”
09. Telekinetic Yeti – “Colossus”
10. The Sacred Mushrooms – “I Don’t Like You”
11. Jimi Hendrix – “Come on (Let the Good Times Roll)”
12. Humble Pie – “I Wonder”
13. Little Free Rock – “Age of Chivalry”
ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
– Danny P. is a Toronto, Canada-based chef with a love for music, food and baking (both kinds). He may be stuck in the ‘70s, but he is definitely not stuck in his ways. In this series Dan will bring you some of his favourite recipes for absolutely tasty bake-worthy goods. If you have any comments, suggestions or other inquiries, hit him up on Instagram at @bakersdozenrocks.
OTHER YUMMY RECIPES