– Red Run Art Series (No Blackout Dates) is a mixed-media series by artist Damon Kardon created to celebrate the traveling circus that is the music tour. He has various bands and solo artists whose music and words have influenced him and his art over the years. He set out to encapsulate in these works everything that a band or artist puts forth with a new album and accompanying tour. What better way to convey the creativity and excitement of travel than in a postage stamp representing this new voyage?
“Red Run” is a postage term describing an assignment to handle registered mail and “Blackout Dates” a travel term meaning no time off from travel. These terms represent to Damon, a clear vision each band or artist delivers in their new album and then expresses 24/7 in their subsequent tour. Each piece he creates starts with a painted portrait of the band or artist. He then incorporates colors and elements of their new album into the background. Next, he takes that image of the finished painting and digitally alters and adds text through Photoshop.
The text seen on each postage stamp design incorporates new song and album titles as well as the names and dates of the tour. Each completed stamp design is a mixed-media collage representing the artist/band and their music. You shall see a new finished piece featured every week for the entire run of the series. Through their boundless creativity and determination, these artists/bands have put their musical stamp on the world.
– Be sure to enhance your viewing/reading experience by streaming Mastodon’s most recent LP, Emperor of Sand, released on March 31st, 2017, via Reprise Records.
About the Painting:
– As a bassist, I have to admit, I tend to listen to the rhythm and deep end of a band first and foremost. I gravitate towards music that is technical, melodic and HEAVY! Mastodon sits at the apex of all these qualities, and has created their own form of progressive rock/metal that is just killer! I especially am drawn to the drums and vocals of Brann Dailor, which really is the driving force of Mastodon.
I caught just a glimpse of their live set when they toured with Deftones and Alice in Chains a few years back. I was hooked and I really hope to see them live again. Their album art has always been amazing and I hope I did their portrait justice. I wanted to capture their progressive style in a unique landscape that draws from their new album Emperor of Sand, one of their best releases to date. – Damon Kardon
Package #15: “Emperor of Sand”:
– Check out Damon’s creative process by scrolling through the photos below.
08/11 – Springfield, IL – Grandstand-Illinois State Fair
08/19 – Osaka, Japan – Summer Sonic 2018
08/21 – Honolulu, HI – The Republik
09/01 – Edmonton, Canada – Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
09/02 – Calgary, Canada – Grey Eagle Resort & Casino
09/04 – Saskatoon, Canada – O’Brian’s Event Centre
09/06 – Winnipeg, Canada – Burton Cummings Theatre
09/07 – Duluth, MN – Duluth Heritage Center
09/08 – Souix City, IA – Anthem @ Hard Rock Hotel & Casino
09/11 – Milwaukee, WI – The Rave/ Eagles Club
09/12 – Cleveland, OH – Agora Theatre & Ballroom
09/14 – Fort Wayne, IN – Clyde Theatre
09/15 – Grand Rapids, MI – 20 Monroe Live
09/16 – London, Canada – London Concert Theatre
09/17 – Kitchener, Canada – Elements
09/19 – Hamilton, Canada – First Ontario Concert Hall
09/20 – Port Chester, NY – Capitol Theatre
09/21 – Silver Spring, MD – The Fillmore Silver Spring
10/06 – Los Angeles, CA – The Row Dlta – Adult Swim Festival 2018
Mastodon’s cover artwork for Emperor of Sand:
The Series & Future Artwork:
– Coming up in Package #17… Migos
– Previously in Package #15… Greta Van Fleet
– Package #14… Pearl Jam
– Package #13… The Fever 333
– Package #12… Slayer
– Package #11… MGMT
– Package #10… A Perfect Circle
– Package #9… Sheer Mag
– Package #8… Ministry
– Package #7… Judas Priest
– Package #6… Arch Enemy
– Package #5… Run The Jewels
– Package #4… Corrosion of Conformity
– Package #3… alt-J
– Package #2… G-Eazy
– Package #1… Killswitch Engage