– Red Run Art Series (No Blackout Dates) is a mixed-media series by artist Damon Kardon created to celebrate the traveling circus that is the music tour. He has various bands and solo artists whose music and words have influenced him and his art over the years. He set out to encapsulate in these works everything that a band or artist puts forth with a new album and accompanying tour. What better way to convey the creativity and excitement of travel than in a postage stamp representing this new voyage?
“Red Run” is a postage term describing an assignment to handle registered mail and “Blackout Dates” a travel term meaning no time off from travel. These terms represent to Damon, a clear vision each band or artist delivers in their new album and then expresses 24/7 in their subsequent tour. Each piece he creates starts with a painted portrait of the band or artist. He then incorporates colors and elements of their new album into the background. Next, he takes that image of the finished painting and digitally alters and adds text through Photoshop.
The text seen on each postage stamp design incorporates new song and album titles as well as the names and dates of the tour. Each completed stamp design is a mixed-media collage representing the artist/band and their music. You shall see a new finished piece featured every week for the entire run of the series. Through their boundless creativity and determination, these artists/bands have put their musical stamp on the world.
– Be sure to enhance your viewing/reading experience by streaming Pearl Jam’s latest studio single offering, “Can’t Deny Me”, released on March 13, 2018 via Monkeywrench Records.
About the Painting:
– Pearl Jam is one of my favorite bands of all time and was hugely influential to me as a teen in my first band. I grew up in the grunge era, but this group transcended past those trappings to become such an iconic and musically diverse force. I remember buying Ten, on cassette (now I feel really old) before heading to art class in Philly and at first I hated it. I was such a Soundgarden and Alice in Chains fan that I could not listen to anything in that era that didn’t have that metal influence.
I grew to love the album though and couldn’t stop listening to it while I created art. I am taking my wife to her first Pearl Jam show this summer. We are going to Fenway Park for this epic (but short) Pearl Jam baseball stadium tour. I wanted this portrait to represent these shows in a way that showed my excitement as well as how much I respect and appreciate Pearl Jam’s legacy. – Damon Kardon
Package #14: “The Home Shows X The Away Shows”:
– Check out Damon’s creative process by scrolling through the photos below.
06/15 – Landgraff, Netherlands – Pinkpop Festival
06/18 – London, UK – 02 Arena
06/19 – London, UK – 02 Arena
06/22 – Milan, Italy – I-Days Festival at Area Expo
06/24 – Padova, Italy – Stadio Euganeo
06/26 – Rome, Italy – Stadio Olimpico
07/01 – Prague, Czech Republic – 02 Arena
07/03 – Krakow, Poland – Tauron Arena Krakow
07/05 – Berlin, Germany – Waldbuhne
07/07 – Werchter, Belgium – Rock Werchter Festival
07/10 – Barcelona, Spain – Palau St. Jordi
07/12 – Madrid, Spain – Mad Cool Festival
07/14 – Lisbon, Portugal – NOS Alive Festival
08/08 – Seattle, WA – Safeco Field
08/10 – Seattle, WA – Safeco Field
08/13 – Missoula, MT – Washington-Grizzly Stadium
08/18 – Chicago, IL – Wrigley Field
08/20 – Chicago, IL – Wrigley Field
09/02 – Boston, MA – Fenway Park
09/04 – Boston, MA – Fenway Park
Pearl Jam’s cover artwork for “Can’t Deny Me”:
The Series & Future Artwork:
– Coming up in Package #15… Greta Van Fleet
– Previously in Package #13… The Fever 333
– Previously in Package #12… Slayer
– Previously in Package #11… MGMT
– Previously in Package #10… A Perfect Circle
– Previously in Package #9… Sheer Mag
– Previously in Package #8… Ministry
– Previously in Package #7… Judas Priest
– Previously in Package #6… Arch Enemy
– Previously in Package #5… Run The Jewels
– Previously in Package #4… Corrosion of Conformity
– Previously in Package #3… alt-J
– Previously in Package #2… G-Eazy
– Previously in Package #1… Killswitch Engage