– Red Run Art Series (No Blackout Dates) is a mixed-media series by artist Damon Kardon created to celebrate the traveling circus that is the music tour. He has various bands and solo artists whose music and words have influenced him and his art over the years. He set out to encapsulate in these works everything that a band or artist puts forth with a new album and accompanying tour. What better way to convey the creativity and excitement of travel than in a postage stamp representing this new voyage?
“Red Run” is a postage term describing an assignment to handle registered mail and “Blackout Dates” a travel term meaning no time off from travel. These terms represent to Damon, a clear vision each band or artist delivers in their new album and then expresses 24/7 in their subsequent tour. Each piece he creates starts with a painted portrait of the band or artist. He then incorporates colors and elements of their new album into the background. Next, he takes that image of the finished painting and digitally alters and adds text through Photoshop.
The text seen on each postage stamp design incorporates new song and album titles as well as the names and dates of the tour. Each completed stamp design is a mixed-media collage representing the artist/band and their music. You shall see a new finished piece featured every week for the entire run of the series. Through their boundless creativity and determination, these artists/bands have put their musical stamp on the world.
– Be sure to enhance your viewing/reading experience by streaming Arch Enemy’s latest full-length offering, Will To Power, released on September 8, 2017, via Century Media (the world, excluding Japan) and Trooper Entertainment (Japan).
About the Painting:
– Even with some lineup changes over the years, the core sound of Arch Enemy has stayed true throughout. I’ve loved the virtuosity of original guitarist Michael Amott and drummer Daniel Erlandsson in their songwriting and their dramatic and powerful performances. I have to admit that this band scared me when I first heard them on 2005’s song “Nemesis” with former singer Angela Gossow. I’ve never heard a voice so powerful! She has definitely passed the torch to a most capable singer in Alissa White-Gluz and this band charges on full force with another strong, powerful woman. I love the imagery of their new album Will To Power as well as the energy captured in their live video for “The Race”. It was very inspiring when painting their portrait. – Damon Kardon
Package #6: “Will To Power”:
– Check out Damon’s creative process by scrolling through the photos below.
03/23 – Manning Bar – Sydney, Australia
03/24 – Download Festival – Melbourne, Australia
03/25 – The Zoo – Brisbane, Australia
03/27 – Live – Adelaide, Australia
03/28 – Hotel – Perth Wa, Australia
Arch Enemy’s cover artwork for Will To Power:
The Series & Future Artwork:
– Coming up in Package #7… Judas Priest.
– Previously in Package #5… Run The Jewels
– Previously in Package #4… Corrosion of Conformity
– Previously in Package #3… alt-J
– Previously in Package #2… G-Eazy
– Previously in Package #1… Killswitch Engage