There’s much hubbub surrounding the Australian group, Tora, and rightfully so. Their concoction of electronic/chillwave is upbeat and catchy-as-hell, perfect examples of which can be found on their outstanding debut album full-length, Take A Rest, which dropped June 9th via Indica Records. (Order your own copy RIGHT HERE.) Mastered by Grammy nominated engineer Andrei Eremin (Chet Faker, WAFIA, Hiatus Kaiyote), Take A Rest follows the band’s 2013 self-titled debut EP.
This all said we’re teamed up with the Aussies for this exclusive TOP 10 list of some of their favourite songs from Canadian artists. In fact, the guys have a lot of love for Canada and with their strong connection to the country even wrote the track “Empyrean” about a homeless man in Montreal. See below for Tora’s TOP 10 Canadian-only playlist picks to celebrate Canada 150!
Said the group about their song “Empyrean”: “’Empyrean’ is a story about the highs and lows of a homeless man in Montreal, who fears the worst when he realises that winter is coming back. It’s one of the more ‘dancy’ songs from the album, with quite a lot of experimentation in the production elements. Definitely one of the new songs we are most looking forward to performing live.”
01. Kaytranada – “Despite the Weather”
– A rainy day type of track, definitely one of my favourites from Kaytranada’s first album.
02. Lrndcroy – “Sunrise Market”
– A fast-paced house number appropriate for almost any occasion.
03. Badbadnotgood – “Lavender” (ft. Kaytranada)
– Big and groovy from Badbadnotgood + Kaytranada with a hint of tropical island vibes to it.
Check out the band’s song “Too Much”
04. Pender Street Steppers – “The Glass City”
– The duo combining Liam Butler and Jack J will take you somewhere special. Especially on the track ‘The glass city’.
05. Feist – “Caught A Long Wind”
– This track got us through many a long night drives while touring. It’s the perfect accompaniment for 2am thoughts whilst traveling cross country on the highway.
06. Mac Demarco – “On the Level”
– One from Mac Demarco’s latest release ‘this old dog’. One of the slowest, sexiest, sink into a chair and daze off tunes I’ve heard for a while.
07. Project Pablo – “Evening Call”
– A groovy slice of house/disco that I discovered in Shibuya at lighthouse records. Smooth synths + cheesy riffs that work together incredibly.
08. Caribou – “Mars”
– A track that reminds me of robin hood sneaking through a dark forest. No one else but the Canadian math teacher genius that is Caribou.
09. Local Artist – “Ozone”
– Vancouver based producer who sits in the great area between house, dub and techno. A raw but groovy beat driven feeler. Good for a Sunday evening.
10. Half Moon Run – “Drug You”
– This track might make you cry, a beautiful track from Half moon runs debut dark eyes.